Sunday, April 10, 2011

Upcoming sale

Posters for our upcoming sale...

Friday, April 8, 2011

More pictures

So these are the pots that were trapped at the last studio. I finally rescued them.

This first picture is a couple of small bottles. My awesome wife asked for some oil bottles. So I started throwing small bottles and making goofy little stoppers for them. Somehow the last studio lost two of my stoppers so... now they're vases ;)



Now the next picture is a lidded vase I threw. It's glazed with an iron yellow. On top of the iron yellow I dripped a mixture of grestely borate and rutile (75/25). The GB/Rutile mixture behaved really strangely. It looks like it separated. Odd but cool looking.



The last picture is a close up of the GB/Rutile dots.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A couple more pics from the latest kiln load



All lorio ash. I actually like this one a lot. Right color, the glaze was sprayed on and I was able to get it exactly how I wanted.

This one... not so much. This is more of a "don't do this" kind of picture:



This is a crystal blue on top of a chrome/tin red. See that little band of light blue/purple right where the two glazes meet? That's what I was going for. I used waaay too much crystal blue and the oxy red was too light. Ugly pot.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

New pots

Fresh from the kiln:



Inside is iron yellow though you can't see it in this picture. Top outside is lorio as modified to cone 6, bottom portion of the outside is my cone 6 version of Richard Areni's Obsidian 3 glaze.



My faux celedon. It's a little much faux and little too little celedon for my tastes.

The 4 iron reds I was testing came out ok. The old standby, Bailey's Red was by far the best. I am giving all 4 a second firing in a bisque load to see if any of them respond well to that before I make up my mind which one to use.

I had two other pots in the kiln that came out fairly nice One was a large round vase that had strictly lorio ash on it. Came out very nice, I left it at the studio as we have a sale in a few days. Maybe I can get a few dollars for it. The other pot was a large bottle, top portion was a dark blue crystal, the bottom portion was oxy red. Came out as it should. It just looked better in my mind. That one is also at the studio, Maybe it will sing to someone, I think it's fugly.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Long time coming....

Tonight I loaded and started firing a kiln load of my stuff in the new studio. It's been about 18 months since I loaded my own kiln. It will fire over night and I may be able to unload tomorrow night. More likely Monday.

Firing a couple glazes I have used many times. I also have four tests for iron reds plus a faux celedon, my clear plus 0.5% copper carb.

Will post pictures Monday night.