Sunday, February 6, 2011

More of Val's ________ Matte

So I was reading through Robin Hopper's "Ceramic Spectrum" and I realized that the Val's Turquoise Matte I recently tested and love could be extended. Robin Hopper's book as a section of flux saturated glazes - and nearly all coloring oxides look good in cone6 oxidation in a flux saturated glaze. Val's Turquoise Matte is obviously not on of the recipes listed in Mr. Hopper's book but it is similar enough that I expect to get some good results. I am mixing up Val's Flux Saturated Matte with the following:

RIO - 5% - I expect this to be the elusive iron yellow I have been seeking.
Chrome - 3% - I am hoping for a yellow/green.
Manganese Dioxide - 3.5% - Purple maybe?
Nickel Carb - 3% - Hoping for Muave/Purple

It will be a few weeks before I get the glazes mixed and fired but I'll post the results.

1 comment:

theflowergirl said...

I really like the green Val's matte with the chrome. Could you please send me the recipe? Thanks Trish