Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Another new glaze recipe

I have been gazing at work by Brother Thomas and Chun Wen Wang lately. Iron glazes can be so wonderful. They can be almost any color, clear, matte, crystalline. Just an amazing mineral.

So I started to think about iron yellows. Brother Thomas' influence. I haven't been able to find any good examples of an iron yellow for cone 6 oxidation online. I was scratching my head. I was surfing and googling and generally flailing blindly. As it happens sometimes the answer was right in front of me. Literally. Right in front of me was a platter I made last year, lorio ash, cone 6 oxidation and a beautiful yellow. The colorant? Iron. I just needed to tweak the recipe from being an ash glaze to being a normal stable glaze.

The original:

Alberta Slip 43.9
EPK 5.9
Whiting 29.6
Wood Ash 13.9
Grestely Borate 8
RIO 3
TiO2 6

The tweaked glaze:

Alberta Slip 53.9
EPK 5.9
Whiting 15
Grestely Borate 10.2
Silica 15
Red Iron Oxide 3
Titanium Dioxide 6

I will be testing this soon.

No comments: