Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Trying to improve

I am taking a class. I am in a class called "Set Design". It's being taught by Deborah Schwartzkopf.

I choose this class because it gives me a chance to work on something that has eluded me - the ability to throw consistent shapes/sizes. I can throw really nice one or two off pieces, at least I think they're nice. But I can't sit down and throw 10 bowls same size same shape. I can throw an 18 inch tall bottle, but not 6 coffee cups that look alike. It bothers me.

I made myself sit down and throw 10 cups tonight. Sounds easy but it's the first time I've done that since I started throwing again. On cup number 5 I got the shape I really wanted. I threw several more that were actually very similar in size and shape. Then I got tired and the last few sucked.

I plan on getting 30 cups I like. I have maybe 3.

I am going to put my normal handles on them.

I am also adding a sugar container and a creamer. I'll be using the same bodies as the mugs for these. Just a different finishing treatment.

It feels good working on improving my throwing instead of just working on glazes.

All will get the same glaze treatment. I have a high level view of what the glaze will be - lorio ash + some accent glaze on the outside, black on the inside. I am going to be doing line tests with the lorio ash to get a variation that doesn't run in the kilns at PNW.

No comments: