Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pots outta da kiln

I used a set of bowls, a vase, and a set of mugs to experiment with combinations of the new glazes. A few things I learned:
  • Shino must be put on thick or it blows.
  • Iron wash over shino blows.
  • The container didn't say clear, it said clear blue.
  • Shino over SCM blows.
  • I should write down my experiments because the one bowl that came out great - yeah I couldn't tell you what's on it if you waterboarded me.
Everything be hammered into pieces fit for my Mom's new garden pathway.

Time to start throwing more ;)

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The last of the first batch of test results

The last four tests from my first batch of tests came out of the kiln. I am not posting pictures because I am getting sick. But not too sick to toss out a few lines about the results.

I tested two oil spots. Both were mis-fires. Someone loaded them into the reduction kiln. Reduction means no oil spots. I'll have to re-test these.

The other two came out freakin' awesome.

One was a copper red. I made a mistake but this time it came out great. I forgot to mix it. It came out very deep purple with turquoise spots. Amazing looking. No idea if I can reproduce it.

The last one was a glaze called called Virden Wrinkle. I got it from John Britt's book. It came out better than the test tiles in the book. It got the wrinkling effect but instead of a flat dark gray the glaze came out a shiny metallic black. I will be using this a lot.

I will post recipes and pictures later.

Off to change into PJs and take some Nyqil.