Saturday, August 15, 2009

Working on a palette

So as I was working up yet another ash glaze today I got thinking why am I doing this? I seem to be driven to mess around with glazes but hadn't really stopped to think what my goal is.

Once I thought about it the goal became clear quickly. I want a diverse, reliable glaze palette. Pretty simple.

To that end I started taking stock of what I have:

Basics, base glazes

An iron red. And iron red should be a in every potter's inventory. Mine is really more bronze than red but I like it.

A green nuka. This is a wonderful green that will develop black crystals where thick.

A blue/black. Love this glaze.

A matte white. I never use by itself, rather something I use to alter other glazes. Mine is a version of the ever popular strontium crystal matte.

A clear. Yup, everyone needs a clear.

A tin/chrome red. Wonderful little red.

Accent glazes

A green ash glaze. This is a modification of Aerni Ash that has a truck load of copper. Very nice, very green.

A very good cone 6 crystal base. I sometimes use cobalt in mine. But this reliably develops crystals at cone 6 without a controlled cooling. I use this dripped, stripped or poured as an accent or pooled in the bottom of pots. I get .25-.30 inch crystals without a controlled cooling.

A grestely borate/rutile wash. 75/25 mix that I use for highlights on a lot of pots. Works well with every one of my base glazes.

Now for what I am missing....

A reliable black/ very dark ash glaze. To this end I have been playing with barnard slip ash glazes. One of the glazes I tried today was a modification of an iron saturated ash from one of Michael Bailey's books in an attempt to get a good dark ash.

A yellow ash. Something that looks like Lorio ash in cone 6 oxidation.

A true black temmoku. I use VC's temmoku gold but really don't care for it. When it's used on the inside of a bowl it will completely cover with yellow crystals giving a mate effect that I don't like. My dark blue/black uses cobalt and I want something that will break red as a good temmoku should, not break blue.

A cone 6 oxidation chun or jun glaze. These are breath taking glazes. I really want to add one to my palette. This one will be tough to develop.

A white nuka that I can use as white or add colorants to. I have a green nuka but haven't tried it without the copper or with other colorants. I may already have this glaze and it just awaits testing to confirm. Or I may have to start from scratch here.

A cone 6 oribe. I love the look of a good oribe. I suspect once I start work on this it will be fairly easy.

No comments: