Friday, August 7, 2009

A day spent glazing

I had the day off work and spent a good part of the day in the studio.

I had stacked up a pretty healthy stack of bisqued ware. Four or five large bowls, several large platters, a bunch of mugs and one of the tentacle vases. On all of the I used the obsidian 3 modified glaze. That's the very very dark blue.

I also put a coat of strontium matte under the obsidian on several of the pots. I am not sure how it will come out but I am hopeful.

I used several different accent glazes; a crystalline glaze with cobalt, a gerstely borate / rutile wash, a wood ash and barnard slip glaze, lastly some Aerni ash (modified) with cobalt.

One glaze I used today was new. I wanted a yellowish ash. I dug out John Britt's book and set my sights on Lorio Ash.

Alberta Slip 43.5
EPK 13.9
Whiting 29.6
Wood Ash 13.9
Rutile 10

I fire at cone 6, not cone 10 so I have to change it up. Just a little though. I have never used this glaze but the pictures of it at cone 10 show a runny glaze. Well, I want it runny at cone 6 as well. So I sub out the EPK for a flux.

Alberta Slip 43.5
Gerstley Borate 13.9
Whiting 29.6
Wood Ash 13.9
Rutile 10

I put this on a couple pots but pots I really don't like. We'll see how it comes out. I didn't have enough time after mixing and glazing to fire so that will have to wait until later.

No comments: