Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Glaze database

Well, I had some success in creating a glaze database.

I found two large text files online, mostly cone 6 glazes and some raku glazes. I wrote a perl script to normalize the recipes and shove them into a db. 

I now have a glaze database with 816 recipes. 

There are duplicates. I have to write something to remove dups.

Some of the recipes are not normalized to 100%. I will write something else to do that.

Then I will put the db online. Probably on Amazon's AWS. 

Lastly I'll write a front end to go on top of this. I am going to make it completely open to the public and allow additions.

Was a lot of fun and now I have a pretty substantial glaze cook book =)

If anyone reads this and wants a copy before I get around to putting it on line let me know. Post a comment or email me.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Sounds terrific. I have a bunch of glaze formulas and I need a data base to plug these into would you be interested in adding some receipes to your database. I don't need your reciepes just data base to capture mine. If your interested in a trade of your data base for my scribbles let me know lweed26@gmail.com

Lana said...

Sounds terrific. I have a bunch of glaze formulas and I need a data base to plug these into would you be interested in adding some receipes to your database. I don't need your reciepes just data base to capture mine. If your interested in a trade of your data base for my scribbles let me know lweed26@gmail.com