Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First!

How did I get here? Starting a blog about working with clay and glazes...

I decided to start a blog to help with several goals.

First; I want to be a better potter. This means a multitude of things to me. I want my glazes to be as good as John Britt's or Steven Hill's. Not a copy of their glazes but as good, as wonderful as Hill's fake ash and Strontium Crystal Magic combination. As unique as John Britt's oil spot glazes. I want my pots to be useful, eye catching, and expressive.

While I have a long long way to go on my journey to make pots I am truly happy with (when I look at my pots I generally just see the flaws) I also want to transform my money sucking hobby into at the very least a break even proposition. I want to make some money from all the time, money, blood, sweat, and electricity I am sinking into my pots.

In my pursuit of these two goals I find myself thinking that I am probably not alone. Ok, there may be only a handful of people who are also looking for great glazes and refining their pottery techniques but I am probably not the only one. Also I do better when I write it down. When I have to explain what I am doing to someone else, even if nobody ever reads this. Someone could so I need to think things through. Writing this helps me achieve my goals.

No comments: